- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Consumer Class Action Defense
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act Litigation and Compliance
- Consumer Finance and Financial Services Litigation
University of Southern California Gould School of Law
- J.D. 2006
University of Southern California
BA English 2003, cum laude
Minors: Philosophy; News Media and Society.
- State Bar of California
U.S. Court of Appeal for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Courts for the Central, Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts of California, and District of North Dakota
Eastern District of California Bankruptcy Court
Paul A. Grammatico
Paul is an experienced litigator on KCO’s complex commercial and class action defense teams. Paul has successfully defended clients in a variety of industries—including debt collection, traditional banking, and financial services, among other industries—at both the trial court and appellate level for over a decade, including serving as lead counsel in numerous cases. Paul has represented these clients in disputes spanning a wide range of subject matters, including consumer class actions, bank operations, overdraft fees, title disputes, and claims arising under the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA) and California’s Unfair Competition Law. Paul also has significant experience successfully defending claims arising under California’s statutory non-judicial foreclosure scheme and the California Homeowner Bill of Rights. Paul also readily seeks pro-bono opportunities and has worked on habeas petitions, clemency petitions, and adoption cases. Paul has been recognized as a California Rising Star ® for the past six years.
Prior to entering private practice, Paul attended law school at the Southern California Gould School of law and, prior to that, obtained a B.A. in English from the University of Southern California with minors in philosophy and news media and society. Paul is active in the California Lawyer’s Association and currently serves as the co-chair of the Consumer Financial Services of the Committee of the Business Law Section, where he is tasked with monitoring legal developments in the consumer financial services arena and offering thought leadership. Paul is a board member of the Nice Shot Foundation, a charitable organization dedicated to the mission of financially assisting promising elite athletes in achieving their respective goals in their chosen professional sports. When not working, Paul enjoys parenting, reading, and playing tennis.
- Successfully defended numerous financial institutions against putative class actions and individual lawsuits asserted under a variety of state and federal statutes, including the TCPA, FDCPA, FCRA, TILA, ADA, state debt collection statutes, and state foreclosure statutes.
- Obtained multiple summary judgments in district court on behalf of global debt collector in TCPA cases on issues of significant import to the debt collection industry.
- Counseled credit unions in a variety of industries regarding litigation avoidance and compliance with regard to the TCPA, FCRA, ADA, and state foreclosure statutes.
- Obtained dismissals at the pleading stage of multiple nationwide class action claims seeking millions of dollars for financial institutions’ alleged assessment of improper overdraft fees.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of bank in title dispute in which claimant alleged bank’s mortgage interest was subordinated to attempted short sale purchaser.
- Successfully defended financial services institutions in numerous jurisdictions against claims pertaining to their mortgage servicing and property interests, including fraud, interference with contract, unfair competition, wrongful foreclosure, and negligence.
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2014-2019
- Meier v. Allied Interstate, LLC, No. 18-CV-1562-GPC-BGS, 2020 WL 819014 (S.D. Cal. Feb. 19, 2020)
- Lewis v. Beneficial California, Inc., No. 4:17-cv-03575-KAW, 2019 WL 487649 (N.D. Cal. Feb. 7, 2019)
- Borsheim Builders Supply, Inc. v. Merrick Bank Corporation, 387 F. Supp. 3d (D.N.D. 2019)
- Page v. Alliant Credit Union, No. 18-11481 (SDW) (CLW), 2019 WL 3502957 (D. N.J. Aug. 1, 2019)
- Mendoza v Allied Interstate, LLC, No. SACV 17-885 JVS (KESx), 2019 WL 5616961 (C.D. Cal. October 22, 2019)
- Tilley v. Mountain America Federal Credit Union, No. 2:17-cv-01120-JNP-BCW, 2018 WL 4600655 (D. Utah Sept. 25, 2018)
- Kwang Tae Kim v. JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., No. CV 16-6028-DMG (ASx), 2017 WL 8186672 (C.D. Cal. July 27, 2017)
- Mendez v. America’s Wholesale Lender dba Countrywide Home Loans, No. 15cv00209JAH (JMA), 2015 WL 11658709 (S.D. Cal. Aug. 18, 2015)
- Cornejo v. JPMorgan Chase Bank, No. CV 11–4119 CAS (VBK), 2011 WL 13220706 (C.D. Cal. Sept. 13, 2011)
- Co-Chair of Consumer Financial Services Committee of the Business Law Section of California Lawyer’s Association
- Los Angeles Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Board Member of Nice Shot Foundation