- Employment Law
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Class and Collective Action Litigation
- Privacy Litigation and Compliance
- Financial Services Litigation
Georgetown University Law Center
- J.D. 2010
- Institute for Public Representation (Clinic), Student Attorney
- Georgetown Journal of Gender & the Law, Articles Editor
- CALI “Excellence for the Future” Award in Legal Research Skills for Practice
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- B.A. Philosophy & Political Science (Double Major) 2006
- State Bar of California
U.S. District Courts for the Central, Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of California
Kris Vartanian has successfully represented businesses in a broad range of litigation matters across the country. Kris has extensive experience defending employers against discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and wage and hour claims — including federal and state collective, class action, and representative Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA) matters. Kris also has substantial experience representing companies in disputes related to unfair business practices, breach of contract, fraud, business torts, construction, financial services, trademark infringement, toxic torts, and consumer protection statutes, including the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, and Truth-in-Lending Act, among many others. Kris’ practice spans a wide range of industries, including entertainment, fashion, consumer lending, telecommunications, hospitality services, food & beverage, chemicals, and biotechnology.
Kris has been recognized as a “20 under 40” attorney by the Armenian Bar Association (throughout the U.S. and Canada) and has consistently been named a “Rising Star” by Southern California Super Lawyers and Los Angeles Magazine.
Prior to entering private practice, Kris was a judicial clerk for the Honorable Cynthia M. Rufe, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Kris is active in his local community, volunteering as an attorney with the Christian Legal Aid of Los Angeles. Kris also mentors undergraduate students at UCLA and law students at Georgetown Law through those schools’ mentoring programs.
- Defended national telecommunications employer against various wage-hour claims.Obtained full dismissal (without any payment from client) after mediation.
- Defended national telecommunications employer against various wage-hour, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and wrongful termination claims.Obtained summary judgment.
- Defended individuals (manager, supervisor, and HR representative) of employer company against discrimination and retaliation claims.Obtained summary judgement.
- Defended employer against various PAGA, wage-hour, discrimination, retaliation, and breach of contract claims.Obtained favorable resolution for client after filing summary judgment motion.
- Defended national payment processing and technology provider company in putative class action related to invasion of privacy claim.Obtained favorable resolution for client on an individual basis after compelling individual arbitration.
- Defendant national telecommunications company in TCPA putative class action.Obtained early voluntarily dismissal with no payment by client.
- Defended company in TCPA and illegal recording putative class action.Obtained early dismissal of certain claims and thereafter resolved case with no payment by client.
- Defended lender in TCPA putative class action.Obtained early and favorable resolution for client on an individual basis.
- Prosecuted trademark infringement, unfair competition, and cyber-squatting lawsuit (based upon both federal and state laws) on behalf of consumer finance company.After defendants filed counter-complaint against client, resolved case with no payment by client and payment of settlement sum by defendants.
- Defended national bank in action related to alleged breach of trial period plan agreement and violation of non-judicial foreclosure statutory notice requirements, successfully bifurcating issues and obtaining complete defense verdict after trial.
- Defended national mortgage servicer in federal action related to alleged breach of contract and violations of federal and state consumer protection statutes.Obtained complete dismissal by way of motion for terminating sanctions.
- Defended prominent radio network in breach of contract action brought by national news reporter and talk show host.Obtained dismissal of initial complaint with prejudice at the motion to dismiss stage.
- Defended manufacturer of paperboard food packaging products against breach of contract and fraud claims based on alleged non-payment of commissions under sales representative agreement.Obtained favorable settlement for client.
- Defended national bank in action related to mortgage securitization issues and alleged breach of loan agreement.Obtained summary judgment.
- Defended commercial tenant against numerous mechanics’ lien claims (totaling approximately $3 million) for properties located in California, Florida and Illinois, obtaining favorable result for client.
- Represented commercial property lessor against restaurant owner lessee related to lessee’s breach of lease agreement.Obtained favorable resolution for client which resulted in client receiving all monetary relief demanded.
- Prosecuted breach of construction contract and various tort claims on behalf of international fashion company against general contractor for failure to pay subcontractors related to commercial properties.
- Defended several actions on behalf of national cable company related to purported Americans With Disabilities Act (“ADA”) violations filed with the Department of Justice and Department of Labor, obtaining favorable results for client.
- Defended commercial property tenant in lease dispute with owner, obtaining favorable settlement for client.
- Defended HR management company against alleged employment discrimination and retaliation claims, obtaining favorable settlement for client after mediation.
- Acted as national coordinating counsel for international chemical company’s U.S. toxic tort litigation, and in that capacity, obtained dismissal of numerous toxic tort claims.
- Prosecuted fraudulent title lien action on behalf of consumer lender against automobile repair company, successfully obtaining judgment against defendant.
- Defended several national lenders and financial services organizations in state and federal court actions asserting violations of the Homeowner Bill of Rights (“HBOR”), Truth-In-Lending Act (“TILA”), Regulation Z, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (“RESPA”), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (“FDCPA”), and various other federal and state consumer protection statutes.Also defended same companies against claims including breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, negligence, successor liability, intentional infliction of emotional distress, quiet title, wrongful foreclosure, slander of title, and elder abuse.
- Volunteer Attorney, Christian Legal Aid of Los Angeles (“CLA-LA”)
- Champion for Girls, Girls Inc.
- Georgetown Law Alumni Mentoring Program
- UCLA Alumni Mentor Program
- Member of the Armenian Bar Association
- Member of Christian Legal Society—Los Angeles (“CLS-LA”)
- Member of Georgetown Alumni Club of Los Angeles
- Loftus v. Signpost, Inc., 464 F. Supp. 3d 524 (S.D.N.Y. June 2, 2020)
- Foster v. Reverse Mortgage Solutions, Inc., No. 19-cv-10039, 2020 WL 4390374 (May 13, 2020)
- Nakai v. Charter Communications, Inc., No. 19-cv-8035, 2020 WL 1908949 (Apr. 15, 2020)
- Astorga v. Time Warner Cable Inc., No. BC643429, 2018 WL 4868110 (Cal. Super. Ct. Sept. 7, 2018)
- Astorga v. Time Warner Cable Inc., No. BC643429, 2018 WL 4868109 (Cal. Super. Ct. Aug. 23, 2018)
- Astorga v. Time Warner Cable Inc., No. BC643429, 2018 WL 4080041 (Cal. Super. Ct. June 15, 2018)
- Astorga v. Time Warner Cable Inc., No. BC643429, 2018 WL 4080042 (Cal. Super. Ct. June 7, 2018)
- Morgan v. Global Payments Check Services, Inc., No. 2:17–cv–01771, 2018 WL 934579 (E.D. Cal. Feb. 15, 2018)
- Acunis-Graham v. Select Portfolio Servicing, Inc., No. 2:16–cv–08639, 2017 WL 3049562 (C.D. Cal. Apr. 17, 2017)
- Coronado v. National Default Servicing Corp., No. 1:15–cv–01844, 2017 WL 1356028 (E.D. Cal. Apr. 5, 2017)
- Coronado v. National Default Servicing Corp., No. 1:15–cv–01844, 2017 WL 531908 (E.D. Cal. Feb. 8, 2017)
- Geraldo Rivera et al. v. Cumulus Media, Inc., 2016 WL 2647671, 2016 N.Y. Slip Op. 30870 (U) (Trial Order) (Sup. Ct. May 9, 2016)
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. v. Shaykevich, No. BC516855, 2015 WL 5474568 (Cal. Super. Ct. Aug. 19, 2015)
- Rose v. JPMorgan Chase, N.A., No. 2:12–cv–225, 2014 WL 546584 (E.D. Cal. Feb. 11, 2014)
- Lomely v. JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., No. 5:12-cv-01194, 2012 WL 4123403 (N.D. Cal. Sept. 17, 2012)
- Annual Review, Equal Protection, 10 GEO. J. GENDER & L. 227 (2009)
- Recognized as “20 under 40” attorney by Armenian Bar Association (throughout U.S. and Canada)
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” by Southern California Super Lawyers and Los Angeles Magazine (2018-2020)