- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Privacy Litigation and Compliance
- Financial Services Litigation
- Class and Collective Action Litigation
- Employment Law
Georgetown University Law Center
- J.D. 2010
- Institute for Public Representation (Clinic), Student Attorney
- Georgetown Journal of Gender & the Law, Articles Editor
- CALI “Excellence for the Future” Award in Legal Research Skills for Practice
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- B.A. Philosophy & Political Science (Double Major) 2006
- State Bar of California
U.S. District Courts for the Central, Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of California
Kris Vartanian has successfully represented businesses in a broad range of litigation matters across the country, including complex commercial, consumer protection, unfair competition, trademark and trade secret enforcement and protection, and labor and employment. Kris’ litigation practice includes representing companies in disputes related to commercial contracts, consumer contracts, business torts, construction, employment agreements, financial services, trademark infringement, discrimination, retaliation, and toxic torts, within industries including entertainment, fashion, consumer lending, telecommunications, hospitality services, food & beverage, chemicals, and biotechnology.
Prior to entering private practice, Kris was a judicial clerk for the Honorable Cynthia M. Rufe, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. Before that, Kris attended law school at the Georgetown University Law Center, where he served as an Articles Editor for the Georgetown Journal of Gender & the Law and as a student attorney in the Institute for Public Representation clinic (Civil Rights Section). While in law school, Kris also served as a law clerk at the Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC) under the Law Student Observer Program within the Division of Enforcement, Director’s Office.
Kris is active in his local community, volunteering as an attorney with the Christian Legal Aid of Los Angeles. Kris also mentors undergraduate students at UCLA and law students at Georgetown Law through those schools’ mentoring programs
- Prosecuted trademark infringement, unfair competition, and cyber-squatting lawsuit (based upon both federal and state laws) on behalf of consumer finance company. After defendants filed counter-complaint against client, resolved case with no payment by client and payment of settlement sum by defendants.
- Defended national bank in action related to alleged breach of trial period plan agreement and violation of non-judicial foreclosure statutory notice requirements, successfully bifurcating issues and obtaining complete defense verdict after trial.
- Defended lender in Telephone Consumer Protection Act (“TCPA”) putative class action, obtaining an early and favorable resolution for client on an individual basis.
- Defended national mortgage servicer in federal action related to alleged breach of contract and violations of federal and state consumer protection statutes. Obtained complete dismissal by way of motion for terminating sanctions.
- Defended prominent radio network in breach of contract action brought by national news reporter and talk show host. Obtained dismissal of initial complaint with prejudice at the motion to dismiss stage. Geraldo Rivera et al. v. Cumulus Media, Inc. et al., 2016 WL 2647671, 2016 N.Y. Slip Op. 30870 (U) (Trial Order) (Sup. Ct. May 9, 2016).
- Defended manufacturer of paperboard food packaging products against breach of contract and fraud claims based on alleged non-payment of commissions under sales representative agreement. Obtained favorable settlement for client.
- Defended national bank in action related to mortgage securitization issues and alleged breach of loan agreement, obtaining summary judgment in favor of client.
- Represented biotechnology company in actions related to breach of employee restrictive covenant agreements, misappropriation of trade secrets, and unfair business practices. Defended same company in actions pending with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (“OSHA”) related to whistleblower claims under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, the Dodd-Frank Act, and other similar state statutes.
- Defended owner of hotel property against breach of construction contract and numerous mechanics’ liens claims arising from alleged improper termination of general contractor.
- Defended commercial tenant against numerous mechanics’ liens claims (totaling approximately $3 million) for properties located in California, Florida and Illinois, obtaining favorable result for client.
- Represented commercial property lessor against restaurant owner lessee related to lessee’s breach of lease agreement. Obtained favorable resolution for client which resulted in client receiving all monetary relief demanded.
- Prosecuted breach of construction contract and various tort claims on behalf of international fashion company against general contractor for failure to pay subcontractors related to commercial properties.
- Defended several actions on behalf of national cable company related to purported Americans With Disabilities Act (“ADA”) violations filed with the Department of Justice and Department of Labor, obtaining favorable results for client.
- Defended commercial property tenant in lease dispute with owner, obtaining favorable settlement for client.
- Defended HR management company against alleged employment discrimination and retaliation claims, obtaining favorable settlement for client after mediation.
- Acted as national coordinating counsel for international chemical company’s U.S. toxic tort litigation, and in that capacity, obtained dismissal of numerous toxic tort claims.
- Prosecuted fraudulent title lien action on behalf of consumer lender against automobile repair company, successfully obtaining judgment against defendant.
- Defended several national lenders and financial services organizations in state and federal court actions asserting violations of the Homeowner Bill of Rights (“HBOR”), Truth-In-Lending Act (“TILA”), Regulation Z, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (“RESPA”), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (“FDCPA”), and various other federal and state consumer protection statutes. Also defended same companies against claims including breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, negligence, successor liability, intentional infliction of emotional distress, quiet title, wrongful foreclosure, slander of title, and elder abuse.
- Volunteer Attorney, Christian Legal Aid of Los Angeles (“CLA-LA”)
- Champion for Girls, Girls Inc.
- Georgetown Law Alumni Mentoring Program
- UCLA Alumni Mentor Program
- Member of the Armenian Bar Association
- Member of Christian Legal Society—Los Angeles (“CLS-LA”)
- Member of Georgetown Alumni Club of Los Angeles
- Annual Review, Equal Protection, 10 GEO. J. GENDER & L. 227 (2009)
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” by Southern California Super Lawyersand Los Angeles Magazine (2018)